Working smoke alarm saves the day!

Folkestone News

TheSite.co.uk, the portal for UK towns, cities and villages
TheSite.co.uk

> Home

> About Us
> Photos
 
Folkestone
> Folkestone Guides
> Folkestone Books
> Folkestone Adverts
> Folkestone Business
> Folkestone Web Sites
> Folkestone Accommodation
> Folkestone Restaurants
> Folkestone Attractions
> Folkestone Events
> Folkestone Photos

info@thesite.co.uk

Site Designed By

Commatic Limited

Click here to send an email message to up to five friends about this web site

 


Working smoke alarm saves the day!

Posted: 05/01/2009 18:01:08

The importance of having working smoke alarms in the home was demonstrated yet again yesterday (4th January) when an elderly resident from Folkestone escaped from fire in her home.

The 86 year-old woman was cooking in her basement flat in Castle Hill Avenue when the smoke alarms - designed for those who are hard of hearing - in the property began to sound and flash. She immediately left the building, closing all doors behind her in the process and dialled 999.

Firefighters - who arrived on the scene just minutes later – entered the heavily smoke filled property wearing breathing apparatus and used a thermal imaging camera to identify the source of the fire and to check for further fire spread. They then quickly extinguished the blaze using a hose reel jet and removed the burning material.

Watch Manager Mark Jones said: “As this incident demonstrates smoke alarms provide vital early warning to the outbreak of fire. Fortunately smoke alarms had already been fitted in the flat and this, combined with the prompt actions of the occupier and fire crews on the scene, meant the fire was quickly contained.

“Lasting damage to the flat was minimal and thanks to the quick-thinking firefighters at the scene, most of the woman’s personal possessions, such as photographs, paintings and antiquities, survived the fire.

“The woman owes a lot to her smoke alarms – without them this fire could have gone undetected for a lot longer, with potentially tragic circumstances.”
The fire, which started in the living room, is believed to have been caused by an overheated television set.

Ambulance crews administered oxygen to the woman who was suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation and later transported her to hospital as a precaution.

As is routine after an incident of this nature, local fire crews will be visiting the area to remind home owners of the free home safety visit scheme which Kent Fire and Rescue Service offers.

The visits take around 30 minutes and include tips on cooking safely, the dangers of smoking materials, care with candles, and planning escape routes in the event of fire. Free 10-year battery smoke alarms are also fitted when needed to give early warning of fire and help people escape. By following the advice given during the check, people can also reduce the risk of fire in their home.

To book a visit call the Community Safety Team for free on 0800 923 7000 or call your local fire station.

In the meantime follow these tips to keep you and your family safe from the threat of fire:
• Make sure you have a smoke alarm on every floor of your home and make sure you test it weekly
• Plan an escape route for the event of fire, practice it and make sure that everyone knows what to do when a fire strikes
• Make sure that your planned escape route remains free of any obstructions and that there are no loose floor coverings that could trip you up
• Ensure that the key to the final escape exit is readily available, close to hand and that everyone in the house knows where it is

Permalink: http://www.thesite.co.uk/viewnewsstory.asp?newsid=2788&placeid=150

Other Folkestone News

Crews due to practise fire and rescue operations
Posted: 19/02/2010 16:30:42
Kitchen fire prompts watch what you heat warning
Posted: 19/02/2010 10:29:52
Firefighters praised after tea lights spark fire
Posted: 17/08/2009 11:50:37
Get Out, Stay Out - warn Folkestone firefighters
Posted: 30/04/2009 23:09:34
Smoke alarm saves Folkestone family
Posted: 02/07/2008 20:00:43
Folkestone residential home praised for safety
Posted: 24/01/2008 13:43:59
Kent Fire and Rescue to speak at Council meeting
Posted: 27/11/2007 18:20:46
Gas explosion update
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:55:58
Folkestone car crash demo night
Posted: 17/07/2007 15:37:17
Fire chief praises crews' work in Folkestone
Posted: 30/04/2007 16:53:41

Other News From Around The County

Sandgate - Pensioner escapes ashtray fire
Posted: 15/03/2010 13:41:21
Isle of Sheppey - Firefighters rescue schoolboy from mud
Posted: 15/03/2010 09:26:26
Cliftonville - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Cliftonville
Posted: 06/03/2010 09:36:57
Vigo - Incident in Vigo, Meopham
Posted: 05/03/2010 16:29:05
Walderslade - Fatal house fire in Walderslade
Posted: 05/03/2010 10:42:39
Gravesend - Hamster saved in Gravesend fire drama
Posted: 10/02/2010 15:59:33
Margate - Safety messages follow Margate fire
Posted: 05/02/2010 12:34:10
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons on road safety
Posted: 05/02/2010 10:58:04
Maidstone - Haiti heroes to celebrate opening of new centre
Posted: 28/01/2010 10:28:52
Lyminge - Fire crews remain at Lyminge workshop
Posted: 28/01/2010 09:57:57
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire under control
Posted: 27/01/2010 22:06:02
Lyminge - Firefighting at Lyminge workshop scaled down
Posted: 27/01/2010 20:36:09
Lyminge - Firefighting efforts at Lyminge workshop continue
Posted: 27/01/2010 17:34:21
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire update
Posted: 27/01/2010 14:11:30
Lyminge - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Lyminge
Posted: 27/01/2010 13:45:24
Margate - Elderly woman rescued from house fire
Posted: 26/01/2010 10:12:46
Sheerness - Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warnings
Posted: 25/01/2010 11:07:56
Ramsgate - Ramsgate man cooks up trouble for firefighters
Posted: 22/01/2010 14:28:31
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons in road safety
Posted: 22/01/2010 08:59:22
Margate - Firefighters to practise rescue from high rise
Posted: 22/01/2010 08:57:11
Ashford - Dog rescue leads to 'Lucky' Christmas
Posted: 30/12/2009 13:54:17
Broadstairs - Fire crews evacuate Broadstairs homes
Posted: 24/12/2009 12:37:11
Blean - Smoke alarm saves pensioner
Posted: 21/12/2009 17:29:17
Chatham - Car crash demo comes to Chatham
Posted: 15/12/2009 13:22:17
Broadstairs - Forty firefighters tackle Broadstairs blaze
Posted: 08/12/2009 18:59:06
Ramsgate - Ramsgate home damaged after fire
Posted: 08/12/2009 18:57:06
Margate - Margate man escapes tea-light blaze
Posted: 04/12/2009 17:24:55
Rochester - Park Pale fire in Rochester update
Posted: 02/12/2009 10:51:07
Rochester - Firefighters tackle Rochester fire
Posted: 01/12/2009 20:10:44
Penshurst - Smoke alarm helps couple escape fire
Posted: 30/11/2009 08:28:39
Canterbury - Canterbury residents urged to watch what they heat
Posted: 27/11/2009 16:25:54

Back to main Folkestone page

 
Places nearby
Deal (10)      
Sandwich (9)
Biddenden (8)
Canterbury (8)
Sevenoaks (8)      
Whitstable (8)
Hawkhurst (7)
Cranbrook (6)
Dymchurch (6)      
Sissinghurst (6)
 
Search again
Village/Town/City

 
Advertisements



Share Tips
SAGA holiday insurance
Marks & Spencer travel insurance