Ramsgate man cooks up trouble for firefighters
Posted: 22/01/2010 14:28:31
Firefighters are warning householders to cook with safety in mind following a fire in Minster, Ramsgate overnight (22 January).
Crews are advising residents to fit a working smoke alarm after a man sustained burns following a fire in his home in Way Hill, Minster.
It is believed that the occupant, in his late fifties, fell asleep while using a chip pan, which caught fire shortly afterwards. Fortunately a neighbour passing by spotted smoke pouring from the man’s home in the early hours of this morning and called Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
Although smoke alarms had been fitted in the property, the batteries had been removed, rendering them useless.
Fortunately the man was roused by his neighbours calls, but before trying to escape his smoke-filled home, he attempted to tackle the fire himself, suffering burns in the process.
At the scene, while firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the fire, the man was given first aid for the burns and smoke inhalation until ambulance crews arrived.
Station Manager Garry Lovejoy, who attended the scene, said: “This man was really lucky because without the actions of his neighbour who saw the fire and dialled 999, the consequences could have been far worse as he had no working alarms to alert him to the fire in his home.
“As these incidents prove, it’s easy to lose concentration while cooking, especially if it’s late at night. It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, or for a grill pan to set light to something that has been left on top of a cooker. Sadly, we often see people getting hurt as a result of these types of incidents which are all preventable. But by following our safety tips you can keep you and your family safe from fires in the kitchen. ”
• Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
• Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
• Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
• If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
• Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
• If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the Fire and Rescue service.
Firefighters are visiting the local area to offer fire safety advice and free home safety visits, during which, if necessary, smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge. To take advantage of this service call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000.
Alternatively, for more advice on how to keep you and your family safe from fire, including how to regularly test and maintain your smoke alarms, log onto www.kent.fire-uk.org
Other Ramsgate News
Ramsgate home damaged after fire
Fire safety systems for residential home
Firefighters battle workshop blaze
Fatal house fire in Ramsgate
Other News From Around The County
Sandgate - Pensioner escapes ashtray fire
Isle of Sheppey - Firefighters rescue schoolboy from mud
Cliftonville - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Cliftonville
Vigo - Incident in Vigo, Meopham
Walderslade - Fatal house fire in Walderslade
Folkestone - Crews due to practise fire and rescue operations
Folkestone - Kitchen fire prompts watch what you heat warning
Gravesend - Hamster saved in Gravesend fire drama
Margate - Safety messages follow Margate fire
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons on road safety
Maidstone - Haiti heroes to celebrate opening of new centre
Lyminge - Fire crews remain at Lyminge workshop
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire under control
Lyminge - Firefighting at Lyminge workshop scaled down
Lyminge - Firefighting efforts at Lyminge workshop continue
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire update
Lyminge - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Lyminge
Margate - Elderly woman rescued from house fire
Sheerness - Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warnings
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons in road safety
Margate - Firefighters to practise rescue from high rise
to main Ramsgate page