Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warnings

Sheerness News

TheSite.co.uk, the portal for UK towns, cities and villages
TheSite.co.uk

> Home

 
Sheerness
> Sheerness Guides
> Sheerness Books
> Sheerness Adverts
> Sheerness Business
> Sheerness Web Sites
> Sheerness Accommodation
> Sheerness Restaurants
> Sheerness Attractions
> Sheerness Events
> Sheerness Photos

[email protected]

Site Designed By
Commatic web design logo
Commatic Limited

 


Kitchen fires spark fresh safety warnings

Posted: 25/01/2010 11:07:56

“Take care in the kitchen” is the message from Kent Fire and Rescue Service after a spate of fires in the Swale area over the weekend.

Two Sheppey appliances were sent to a fire at Clarence Row in Sheerness at 7.47pm on Sunday evening (24 January) after a cooker was left on and caused fat residues to ignite. The room was left smoke damaged.

Meanwhile, Sittingbourne crews were tackling a blaze at Lower Road in Teynham after paper which was left close to the cooker caught light. Crews were called at 7.42pm and had dealt with the small fire within eight minutes.

These incidents followed a similar fire in Coldharbour Lane, Sittingbourne at 7.19am on Saturday morning (23 January) when an electric hob was accidentally turned on and set light to a cardboard box which had been left on top. Two crews from Sittingbourne attended and had extinguished the fire by 7.34am.

KFRS Community Safety Manager Charlie Smith said: “Our crews did a fantastic job in attending so quickly and dealing with the incidents so swiftly. Fortunately no-one was hurt in any of these incidents while only fairly minimal damage was caused.
“However, these fires highlight the care that needs to be taken in the kitchen as a moment of distraction can quickly and easily lead to a major blaze – the outcome for others could easily be tragic.”

Residents are advised to take the following safety measures:
• Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
• Turn saucepan handles so that they don’t stick out from the hob
• Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
• Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
• Do not leave items on top of a hob in case it is accidentally turned on
• If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal.
• Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test the batteries regularly
• If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the Fire and Rescue service.

If you would like any further information on fire safety issues, please call our freephone number 0800 923 7000 to book a home safety visit or visit our website on www.kent.fire-uk.org

Permalink: http://www.thesite.co.uk/viewnewsstory.asp?newsid=3293

Other Sheerness News

We do not have any other Sheerness news at present

Other News From Around The County

Sandgate - Pensioner escapes ashtray fire
Posted: 15/03/2010 13:41:21
Isle of Sheppey - Firefighters rescue schoolboy from mud
Posted: 15/03/2010 09:26:26
Cliftonville - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Cliftonville
Posted: 06/03/2010 09:36:57
Vigo - Incident in Vigo, Meopham
Posted: 05/03/2010 16:29:05
Walderslade - Fatal house fire in Walderslade
Posted: 05/03/2010 10:42:39
Folkestone - Crews due to practise fire and rescue operations
Posted: 19/02/2010 16:30:42
Folkestone - Kitchen fire prompts watch what you heat warning
Posted: 19/02/2010 10:29:52
Gravesend - Hamster saved in Gravesend fire drama
Posted: 10/02/2010 15:59:33
Margate - Safety messages follow Margate fire
Posted: 05/02/2010 12:34:10
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons on road safety
Posted: 05/02/2010 10:58:04
Maidstone - Haiti heroes to celebrate opening of new centre
Posted: 28/01/2010 10:28:52
Lyminge - Fire crews remain at Lyminge workshop
Posted: 28/01/2010 09:57:57
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire under control
Posted: 27/01/2010 22:06:02
Lyminge - Firefighting at Lyminge workshop scaled down
Posted: 27/01/2010 20:36:09
Lyminge - Firefighting efforts at Lyminge workshop continue
Posted: 27/01/2010 17:34:21
Lyminge - Lyminge workshop fire update
Posted: 27/01/2010 14:11:30
Lyminge - Firefighters tackle major blaze in Lyminge
Posted: 27/01/2010 13:45:24
Margate - Elderly woman rescued from house fire
Posted: 26/01/2010 10:12:46
Ramsgate - Ramsgate man cooks up trouble for firefighters
Posted: 22/01/2010 14:28:31
Ashford - Ashford students given lessons in road safety
Posted: 22/01/2010 08:59:22
Margate - Firefighters to practise rescue from high rise
Posted: 22/01/2010 08:57:11

Back to main Sheerness page

 
Places nearby
Deal (10)      
Sandwich (9)
Biddenden (8)
Canterbury (8)
Sevenoaks (8)      
Whitstable (8)
Hawkhurst (7)
Cranbrook (6)
Dymchurch (6)      
Sissinghurst (6)
 
Search again
Village/Town/City

 
Advertisements